Saturday, June 11, 2011

What this blog is about

Whenever people ask me where I'm from, I have a hard time answering. Where are my parents from? Two ends of the US. Where did I grow up? Not the place I was born. Where is my current family (as in, spouse and children) from? Even harder, as we have moved often for schooling and work. There are fabulous places all over the world; wild spaces, curious cultural islands, centers of intense human activity. There is something worth discovering everywhere. But often there is also an insular feeling, as if that is the only place in the world which really exists. When I hear people say that the world is too crowded, I want to invite them past the confines of New York or Chicago or Los Angles to see the many, many miles of open space in Alabama, Idaho, or Wyoming. So this is a blog where you can see other places and get a wider sense of the planet you live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment